Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bit of an update

Well, got my rejection back last night for The Age of Blood and Snow. Wasn't unexpected, though the letter was personal and nice. It more or less said exactly what I thought it was going to, well-written but not strange enough for the anthology. I have to say, it was nothing unexpected, and the fast turnaround time was a really impressive feat. I don't think I've ever had an anthology that has obviously been submitted to that much respond within a day. Kudos to the crew over at Morrigan Books.

Not much else has gone on today. Doing a bit of research for the Grinder story, trying to figure out what I could use that seems realistic. Considering I only want one fantastic element to this story, it would suffer if I had to make up the machine. The little girl needs to be the only creepy thing around, and I don't want to detract from her "vibe".

Resubmitted "Sacrifice of Man and Cloth" to a pie-in-the-sky market while I try to find a more down-to-earth home for it. Started fleshing out an idea for something that could be a bit of a companion to "Weekend Trip". I discovered I like that tiny town and it's Stoker-esque preacher a bit more than I thought I did. Still waiting to heard back from Unspeakable Horrors on the status of "Weekend Trip" with them, though.

Alright, I should probably eat my lunch. A little work, and then a haircut today for my interview next week. After that, my stepdaughter gets to meet her new cousins.

Peace,
J.C. Tabler

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Sorry to read the story didn't make it. Though, don't you think fast turnarounds take a little of the sting out of it? I love speedy responses.

I like your idea of keeping the creepy reserved for the girl in your Black Garden submission. Interesting. Hope it works out.

J.C. Tabler said...

I don't really experience a "sting"...I figure that rejections are just them saying it's either not good enough or not a fit, so I appreciate the personal rejection. It means more to me that an editor actually has something to say, even if it is something small, about anything I've written whether it is being accepted or not. It helps I have a thick skin...though with that much blubber under it, it takes a lot to sting me.

I'm going to get cracking on that submission this weekend. I swear it. This week has just been a terror around the Tabler house, though.