Saturday, November 1, 2008

NaNoWriMo

So I started NaNoWriMo at 12:00 a.m. Nov. 1st, 2008. To this time, 6:49 P.M., I have 4,561 words done on the story, into the beginning of the second chapter.

What is it that's caught my attention?

I'm calling it "One Year Prior", and unfortunately it's about zombies...sort of.

Alright, here goes my synopsis.

In January Sheriff Ben Jenkins of Colton County was called to the scene of a suicide in the woods. The result is wo missing brothers and an angry county in the town of Riverview, Kentucky demanding answers. Answers come soon enough in the form of government broadcasts, and Riverview must pull together to hold up against a river of the undead with Sheriff Jenkins leading the charge.

Basically, this is less about zombies and more about people at this point. The entire town of Riverview belongs to the church of Fenton Brock, an Independent Baptist preacher whose corruption is one of Riverview's many secrets. Even after the town itself is secured, even as things deteriorate in the outside, humanity turns on itself in the microcosm of a small town hidden in coal country. Law and Order versus Faith and Justice, not to mention a world falling down around their ears, drives this story so far.

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. so far I'm shooting for 24 chapters, each one being one day of a month. Each month gets two chapters, plotting the progression of the town and of Sheriff Jenkins, how people deal with the undead, and what happens when civilization fails. I'm also thinking a wrap-up epilogue, but we'll see.

Anyhow, that's where I stand at this point on Day One.

Peace,
J.C. Tabler

6 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

Holy Smokes, you are on fire. Almost a tenth in one day. Nice work. Nice work. I like the structure you've planned, too.

Jamie Eyberg said...

You so totally rock. I wish I had have that written today but, alas, I am only up to 1702 words. At this rate you will be done by, what, the tenth or so?

J.C. Tabler said...

Eh, I'm enjoying the idea of quantity over quality for this month. Good way to clear the cobwebs and get rolling. But hey, this is only Day One, let's see how the rest of the month goes...plus, wait for the inevitable rewrites and we'll see how frustrating that it.

Cate Gardner said...

Unfortunately it's about zombies - what's unfortunate about that.

That's an awesome word count for day one - are you forcing those babies to write some of it!!!

Unknown said...

Pretty fantastic progress for a guy who didn't think he could do novels. Keep going!

Carrie Harris said...

What's unfortunate about zombies? Unless one is eating you or something.

Have you read World War Z?